Monday, August 26, 2013

Women's Ordination and Me

I'm fasting today for women's ordination.

For those who don't know (though I'd bet that anyone who google-stumbles over this blog has probably heard of it) the women of <a href="https://www.facebook.com/events/548948465166297/">Equal in Faith</a>, an LDS-Catholic interfaith collaboration, chose August 26 as a day for all like-minded women to come together and fast for women's priesthood ordination. I kind of hate Facebook and everything it stands for, so while I didn't RSVP over there, I did write the date down in my mental calendar and made a commitment to myself that I would join them.

I'm fasting today because I think it's an important issue. I'm fasting today because I almost left the LDS Church because of structural inequalities between men and women. I'm fasting today because there is no inequality in the Kingdom of God and while I know that God hears my cries I want to make sure that the Church hierarchy hears them as well.

Yesterday, I mentioned the subject of my fast to my mother. She was horrified. She's not on the internet, she doesn't know how Mormon feminism has changed, all she has are memories of stories of women excommunicated in the 70's for supporting the ERA. She's worried that if I speak my mind then I'll be excommunicated as well.

But I can't be happy in a church that refuses to let me speak. I can't stay in a place where I have to remain silent. I don't want to stand up in the middle of church on Sunday and cause a scene, but I do want my voice to be heard. Silence and fear serve no one except the arrogant few who think they're opinions are the only true or normal ones. The kingdom of God grows by embracing all people, not throwing up its walls around a small-minded few.

I also discussed this fast, my fast, with my good friend over our traditional Saturday breakfast at Denny's. She's a liberal Catholic and over the course of our friendship we've devoted a number of conversations to our unhappiness with our respective religious institutions. Her comment was that it was about time Mormon and Catholic women came together over this issue because we have so much in common. I'm also glad to know that the women of Equal in Faith have also broadened the scope to include women of all religious traditions who are likewise locked out of positions of authority. Because this isn't about being Mormon or Catholic, this is about equality and justice and we would be committing a sin if we ignored our sisters who were likewise crying out in pain.

My mother, throughout my life, has often stated that she didn't want the priesthood, she couldn't handle the idea of having that kind of responsibility. And that is such a valid position to hold. But it's not the only position and I hold the opposite. I want the priesthood. I want to share fully in the responsibilities and blessings my brothers and father have, I want my voice to be heard with the same seriousness as my male counterparts. I want to serve God in this way because I have always wanted to serve God. Perhaps a discussion of women's ordination would lead to a discussion of how the priesthood is viewed and utilized in the LDS Church and how we may be doing men a disservice by pushing them into responsibilities they may not want or for which they may be tragically ill-suited.

For all of these reasons, and even a couple that I haven't mentioned, today I am fasting for women's ordination. I hope that, even if you can't share in the fast, you will join your voices and prayers with mine. Because God is with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment